Have you ever thought that you can be a consultant? You can start your own consulting business, put your knowledge & skill at work to guide others and at the same time profit from it.
You might also think out of all the other things that you can be why would you have to be a consultant?.
Why should you consider being a consultant? What are the benefits?
- One of the best things about being a consultant is you can make a choice of renting an office or work from the comfort of your home.
- Or at least as an independent consultant it would not be a 9-5 job that has a monotonous tone to it.
- Every client and every project will have a challenge of its own.
- Less investment: As every other business it will have its own risk and uncertainty, but you need to consider you are not making a big investment. Apart from a minimal investment towards computers or renting an office (In case if you want to rent one) all you are investing would be your knowledge, skill and off course time.
- Lot of money is spent on consulting. So the opportunities for a consultant are immense as every other field requires one, few such examples:
Business: Consultants who helps businesses with their auditing, accounting etc
Fitness: Providing consultation on weight loss and physical well being.
Publishing: Newly started magazines, newspapers or even blogs take professional help to grow their business.
Search Engine Optimization: The entire online world revolves around Search engine Optimization (SEO). Every single website needs SEO to reach more people and to gain recognition.
Advertising: Who doesn’t need advertising? Let it be sports, business or entertainment industry. Advertising their brand/product/work is the most vital aspect.
Information Technology Consulting: Helping businesses to make use of information technology to benefit them.
Travel: Suggest customer travel packages and arrange trips based on their convenience.
Human Resources: This probably will never deplete -Apart from those rare recession times. So requirement for executives and laborers from corporate to industrial sectors will always be there.
Having great opportunities is just a luring factor. But just because you have opportunities you cannot be a consultant. You need to make sure that you have the right qualities to be a consultant.
What qualities do you need to be a consultant?
- You don’t have to be an expert to start off as a consultant. Knowledge & Skill is what matters the most. Having a certified skill set would give you credibility.
- If someone is a renowned expert then they acquired that tag over a period of time and with experience, but to acquire such experience even they started out fresh. So you don’t have to be an expert but you certainly need to be good at it. Remember you are not selling a product, you are selling your knowledge & skill.
- Have the skills to analyze client’s needs and provide solutions in a timely manner. So you need to be very good at time management.
- You need to have good networking skills to gain more clients through referrals. As anyone can claim to be a consultant at a particular field, you need people to back you up on such a claim. So “word of mouth” plays a major role in reputation building.
- Finally, as in any other business you need passion, you need to be motivated towards the projects that you work for - One bad project can give you bad reputation – “Word of mouth works both ways”.
Image Credit: Matthew Burpee